Musa: an exclusive, tropical plant, native to South East Asia. In the wild these ‘trees’ produce small purple flowers which morph into inedible tiny bananas; the reason the Musa is also known as a banana tree or ornamental banana. Unfortunately, the bananas seldom appear in the Netherlands. The green unfolding leaves with their purplish-red spots impart an individual effect to the plant. As a tropical plant, the Musa much prefers a hot spot in the sun. The ideal temperature for the Musa would be a stable 20 degrees throughout the year. There are not many who would object to that...
- Light, sunny spot.
- Ideal temperature 18 - 25 ºC.
- Keep damp, compost must not dry out.
- Water in the saucer/decorative pot.
- Apply fertiliser twice a month.
- Suitable for anywhere in the house.
- Needs good airflow.