Plants look after us if we look after them
The Phalaenopsis; the premier houseplant, and has been for many years. This stylish icon sometimes goes under the name of ‘moth orchid’, thanks to the shape of its flowers. These flowers come in purple, pink, salmon, white and yellow. With its striped or speckled flowers, the Phalaenopsis is something of a print pattern, guaranteed to make you smile. The Phalaenopsis is an orchid variety which originally found its home on trees or rocks in tropical rainforests. After intrepid eighteenth century explorers returned to Europe with the flower from Asia and Australia, it quickly accelerated in popularity. With its handsome looks and extended flowering period this makes perfect sense. The Phalaenopsis is also popular in the Decorum range and grown by no less than four breeders. Do they all cultivate the same type? Of course not. Each grower specialises in its own varieties, dimensions and colours. Just another illustration of this classic’s versatility! Growers of this product: Duijn-Hove, Sion Orchids & Orchios.
- Good light, but no bright sunlight.
- Ideal temperature ± 20 ºC.
- Keep damp, compost must not dry out.
- Do not leave excess water in saucer/dish.
- Apply fertiliser once a month.
- Immerse plant in water if it becomes dry.
- Flowers several times a year.
- After flowering the stem should be cut back to 20 cm above the soil.